Friday, September 20, 2013

A Teleology of Humanity

What is the most important thing in life? Clearly, it is happiness. Aristotle, whom we all agree is a wise man – I mean, who does not think Aristotle is wise? – has said that happiness is the teleological end of all humanity. Wait. Let me explain that big word, “teleology.” Teleology refers to purpose. In other words, to say that happiness is the teleological end of humanity is to mean that the purpose for which God created humanity is for all people to end up happy. And so, happiness is the most important thing. After all said and done, after the "hurly burly” of life is over, the question to ask is: Am I now happy? There is a saying in Ibo culture: “Agaracha, a guo miles.” What this means is that, after life has been lived, we are supposed to reflect on what has transpired and evaluate this against the teleological rubric of happiness. If we feel happy when we mull over our life experiences so far, then perhaps everything we did was worth it. It is probably in this sense alone that we can ethically say that “the end justifies the means.”

Are you happy? And by this I don’t mean whether you feel excited at this moment. Happiness is not a snazzy feeling that you get when something superb happens – like you win the lottery, or you get promoted at work, or your wife gives birth to a long-expected child. No. Being happy is a state of living that underlies all the transient feelings we experience or are tempted with in the course of everyday living. To borrow metaphysical language: happiness is the substance underlying the emotional accidents ranging from excitement to despondency and everything in between. We have in any case, in a previous post, defined happiness as practical epistemology plus practical ethics. So, when I ask if you’re happy, I am asking you to reflect on your life so far. Have you been living faithfully with regard to your epistemological repertoire? Have you discovered truth, and are you living according to that truth regardless of the challenges that inhere in the circumstance of so doing?

I am happy. I’ve said this in a previous post. And the reason I am happy is that I am filling up my epistemological sack each and every day, and I am taking from that sack the lessons I apply in everyday living. And so, I am in fact engaged in practical epistemology and practical ethics and, in spite of the challenges I do face each and every day, I move on with hope, faith and courage. I do not allow the negative emotions that life tempts me with to have a field day with me. I do not allow the devil to come into my spiritual house and beat me up. I surrender myself instead through endless sacrifices to the power of reason, and to faith in Christ Jesus, and in this way ward off the attacks of the devil. Indeed, I believe God when he says: “For I know the plans I have for you; plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future” (Jer. 29:11).

If you don’t feel happy, you need to re-examine your life. In any case, Plato and Socrates have said that an unreflected-upon life is not worth living. So you might as well. Ask yourself what your epistemological repertoire is. What sourced the truths you know? Are the sources of such truths valid? How did you come about the truths: authority, tenacity, research? Then, with regard to practical ethics, ask yourself if you are living faithfully according to those truths. Are you allowing the negative emotions life tempts you with to have a field day with you? Is the devil entering your emotional house and beating you up? Or are you, through sacrifices, allowing the power of reason to take effective control of your life and move you forward toward the goal of triumph, peace and happiness? With these questions, take stock of your spiritual life, and see if you cannot through this critical method consolidate your chances at happiness.

Happy people are good people. They are individuals who are living out the ideal situation of heaven on earth. I encourage you to be among their number. I encourage you to be happy. Realize that happiness is the teleological end of all humanity. Understand that it is not synonymous with accidental emotions characteristic of daily existence, but instead is the situation brought about by practical epistemology and practical ethics. Then, critically examine your life and discover if you have been living one consistent with practical epistemology and practical ethics. If you have, I congratulate you. If you have not, I exhort you to refuse to allow negative emotions deter you from following truth. Through sacrifices and a reliance on reason and faith as well, strive to be and stay happy. For your own good.

No comments:

Post a Comment