Friday, August 30, 2013

What's the Deal With White People Anyway?

I've been through a lot with Black people in my life. The uncles I resented for many years; the scary people I encountered growing up; the people who once broke into my apartment and beat up my roommate, and many other terrible human beings I met growing up - all these were Black people. By the time I was leaving Nigeria in 2008, I was convinced that all my troubles were sourced from Black people and that, if I could just relocate to a place where majority of the population was White, I'd be well and good. That was five years ago. I now live in a country where most of the people are White, but my troubles remain. I have come to know White people that are at least as horrible as the Black ones I knew back in Nigeria, if not many times worse. The more I get to know White people as a Black person, the more I wish I could live in a place where I would not necessarily have to ever encounter them. Yet I realize that this was the same attitude I had about Black people and, since I now feel similarly toward White folks, I realize that no race of people are perfect. Jesus himself said: "No one is good at all, except only God" (Mk. 10:18).

What's the deal with White people anyway? Why do many of them hate Black people for no reason? I may be wrong on this, but I do think that White people are the singular most racist people ever created by God. Just take a memory cruise down their history road and marvel at what they've done in the name of racism. The classic case is the Holocaust. Movie after movie; book after book; documentary after documentary - no one it seems has been able to capture the savagery of the Holocaust. I mean, the people who organized and perpetrated the mass murders of millions of innocents - were these people human? It's a legitimate question. What manner of humans fleece other humans - and I mean, literally fleece them like sheep and other animals: stripping them stark naked; shaving their heads so as to use the hair for fuel; draining their blood for use in laboratory experiments, and eventually burning them whole. White people alarm me by their genocidal propensity. Each major genocide in human history can be linked directly to White people. 

Take the Rwandan Genocide for one example, supposedly a Black genocide. Before the Belgian colonists arrived in Rwanda, the Tutsi and the Hutu peoples lived in peace with one another. They engaged in mutual trade, civic participation, and intermarriage. Some Hutus had Tutsis for best friends, and there was no inter-tribal threat to any. But when the Belgians came, they introduced a vicious race-based classification second to none, and typical of their divisive spirit. They actually went about measuring people's noses, skin color and hair type - can you believe this! I need to repeat that in other terms. I mean that Belgian colonists came to a peaceful Rwanda; lined the natives up, and with measuring instruments began to measure their noses; with other instruments began to document eye, hair and skin coloration, and make all manner of racially motivated classifications, dividing an otherwise united people into enemy factions. And because the Tutsi were largely of lighter skin, leaner nostrils and sleeker hair, the divisive Belgians elevated them in the Civil Service, and gave them technocratic control of Rwanda. And the Hutu, with darker skin, broader nostrils and nappier hair, were demoted and devalued. And so, when the Belgians left after Rwanda's Independence, the enraged Hutu turned on their Tutsi siblings, turning Rwanda into a blood bath for three months. But the size and impact of the Rwandan Genocide did not match the extent of the Holocaust by any means. 

I cannot begin to claim to understand White people. I cannot begin to understand their savagery. What makes them hate so? Why do they hate Black people so much! Look at what they did in South Africa, for Jesus' sake! In an interview with Oprah, Nelson Mandela once said that when he recalls some of the things White people did in South Africa, he gets unbelievably angry. Remember in this regard that Nobel Laureate and Holocaust survivor Ellie Wiesel once told Oprah as well that the crimes the Nazis committed against the Jews made him want to "shout." White people did abominable things not just in South Africa, but in all of Sub-Saharan Africa. Their hatred knew no bounds. They came to South Africa and were initially received with goodwill and enthusiasm, the sort characteristic of Africans. Native South Africans ate and drank with them; gave them land to build on and thrive; showed them all manner of courtesy. And then what happened? White people gradually crafted a country wherein the original inhabitants were enslaved and subjugated; a country where the minority 10% lorded it over the majority 90%. With Apartheid and many other racially-motivated abominations, these devils plunged South Africa into deep distress for many years. They incarcerated Mandela and other freedom fighters and disenfranchised a whole race of people, for no just cause. White people also colonized and fleeced the rest of Sub-Saharan Africa to such a degree that these African nations are still struggling to exist. Europe is at least 75% responsible for each problem faced by Africa. It is the same in Native Australia, India and all the "third world." 

Sometimes I just feel tired of associating with White people. I have yet to meet one White person one-on-one that did not have some element of racism in them. Who created them to be that way, please God! Why are White people the way they are? I don't know. Sometimes, in trying to explain it, I say it's like the case of the lion and the goat. The lion is naturally, biologically programmed to want to eat the goat. The goat need not have done anything to provoke the lion, but the lion just has this natural inclination to devour the goat. Perhaps White people are like that: They are naturally programmed to hate "colored" people. They are naturally programmed to endeavor to subjugate others and promote a demonic ethnocentrism - they are biologically wired to devilishly act in racially-motivated, divisive ways. They cannot help themselves, just like the lion cannot help wanting to kill and eat the goat, or the cat chase and eat the mouse. White people will always hate Black people and desire to be separate from them. And while I wrestle with this reality, I myself will never hate anyone, White or Black. But I will try my best to avoid as much as possible; to have as little dealings as I can with people I know cannot love me because they simply cannot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment