Sunday, August 11, 2013

Why I Want to be a Catholic Priest

The first reason I want to be a Catholic priest is because of the charismatic gifts I perceive that God has given me. There are at least six of them: pastoring, administration, preaching, teaching, evangelism, and works of mercy. I perceive that I can use these gifts to the fullest as a Catholic priest. Through the ministry of the Church, I can be a pastor and administrator of God’s congregation; I can also preach the Gospel to the people of God. I can teach the doctrines of the Holy Church to catechumens; evangelize to the stray flock, and practice spiritual works of mercy to those in need of consolation.

The second reason I want to be a Catholic priest is the personal strengths I perceive that God has given me. There are at least three of them, and they tally to the three promises a priest usually makes, of simplicity, obedience and chastity. The strengths are: the ability to live on little and be happy; the ability to be meek and gentle, and the ability to express love in spiritual ways. All my life, I have lived simple, and I know how to be frugal with money. This is the reason why I have no debts, and why wealth accumulation is not a chief motivation for me. Also, I am meek and gentle in disposition. I respect authority very well; I love peace and I always avoid interpersonal conflict in whatever form it presents itself. I also have the ability to express love in spiritual ways, rather than romantic or sexual ways. This will help me, I perceive, in keeping the promise of chaste celibacy, and will allow me to be available to the people of God at all times, as a priest.

The third reason I want to be a priest is the signs I see in my own life: I have had at least three dreams in which I saw the Blessed Virgin Mary come to me and seem to ask me to be a priest. Also, I have a desire to help people, and people seem to always come to me to talk about their problems. Furthermore, the pointers of my childhood lead me to believe I am called: my love for collegiality, teaching, public speaking, mentoring and leadership all point me toward priesthood.

Talking about my childhood – let me briefly give an autobiography. My name is Samuel Onyenachi Nze. I was born on Monday, October 13, 1980, by 10 in the morning. I was born at St. Nicholas’ Hospital on Lagos Island, in Nigeria, West Africa. My father was an officer in the Nigeria Customs, while my mother was an Army officer. I have three biological siblings, all male. Their names are: Patrick Chinemere Nze, Nicholas Chidi Nze, and Benedict Chima Nze. They all live in Nigeria. My parents were wed in the Catholic Church and endeavored to have all four of their children receive the Sacraments of Initiation.

I began elementary school at age three, at St Jude’s Private School, Festac, Lagos. I finished my primary education there in 1990. I then attended Nigerian Navy Secondary School for six years, from January 1991 to July 1996. I obtained my Senior Secondary School Certificate there. During this period, I lost my parents. My father died while I was five years old, in 1986, while my mother died in 1992, when I was almost twelve years old. Upon my mother’s death, I lived with a number of relatives, both paternal and maternal, and hence shifted residence a few times. In 2001, I gained provisional admission to Imo State University to study Mass Communication. After obtaining my bachelor’s degree in 2005, I worked as a teacher, and then as a banker. Then I applied and was accepted subsequently as a Graduate Teaching Assistant at Wichita State University, where I obtained my master’s degree. 

I believe that God put me through all what He did in order to make me a very empathetic person. I have a soft and merciful heart for people, and I would like a position wherein I can show the greatest possible love to them. I also want to give up my time and talents to serve the needs of the Church, which is a symbol of Christ’s enduring presence in the world and, through the ministry of the Church, bring encouragement to the many people who may have lost hope. This enduring presence of Christ that is powerful enough to bring enduring hope, Holy Mother Church, is a true mother to me. 

And if I am asked what a mother is, I will say that a mother gathers her children together. Mother Church has very many children. They are of every demography. She gathers them all together. Jesus is the Head of the Church. He said: If I am lifted upon the cross, I will draw all people to myself. He also squealed: O Jerusalem, how have I longed to gather you under my awning! The Church wraps us all in her embrace. Mother Church nurtures us. Like the pelican bruises herself to feed her young, so Mater Ecclesiae nurtures us with the sacraments. We Catholics are on a pilgrimage to our Redeemer, and we need nourishment for the road. It is Mother Church that supplies this. The Eucharist in particular is our sustenance on the divine pilgrimage. Mother Church also grants us numerous indulgences, to ease our burden along the road to God.

Mater Ecclesiae is married to Jesus. They are one body. Jesus looks after our Mother Church. He gives us bishops, priests and other faithful to guide her. In a secular world, the need for holy people of God is even greater. Jesus declared: Work is great, but the laborers are few, so ask the Lord of the Harvest to send laborers to His vineyard. Mater Ecclesiae needs more holy ministers to take care of her. It is her husband Jesus that will supply these sacred ministers. Mater Ecclesiae is one. Above all, the universal Church is united. Jesus told his disciples: By your loving one another will you show that you are mine. 

The universal Church is united under the Servant of God, the pope. As inclusive and as nurturing as Mother Church is, she is infallible in her teaching, and firmly united all over the world, even as Jesus promised that Hell would never assail her. This is the church I would like to serve, and for all the reasons I have already stated. This is the church for whom I would like to become a priest. But most of all, I perceive that becoming a priest is the best way for me to attain personal salvation and to go to heaven when I die. St Paul himself would say that he did not want to be left behind after a life of service to God’s people. I believe that by being a priest I will be all the better able to lead a life of grace, and be saved on the last day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment